India is best known for its beautiful, historic and intelligent architectural temples around the world. This Tanjore temple is such an architectural marvel, it never failed to amaze historians. The Thanjavur Brihadeshwara Temple, which is also known as Thanjavur Periya Kovil, symbolises the culture and the creative skills of the Chola kingdom.
The Big Temple was edified by Raja Raja Chola I in the year 1010 A.D.
Why is it the best? And it’s unbelievable interesting facts?
- The entire Gopuram (Temple tower) casts no shadow on the ground. The temple has the world’s largest Vimanam (Temple tower) and its Kumbam (the structure on the top) weighs approximately 80 tons. Its amazing construction technique made the temple to stand against every natural calamities.
- It is believed that there are more than a hundred underground passages leading to various spots. The path may lead to the King’s palace, other temples, important places near Tanjore. The most mysterious thing is that some paths may lead to dangerous spots. This was made during the war and is considered as one of the safety traps of Raja Raja Chola.
- The temple has many pillars which produce different musical notes.
- The temple has a huge statue of Nandi (Sacred bull) at the entrance that kept growing in size. The largest lingam in the world. Maybe because of its unique weather conditions. To control its growth, it was kept aside and nailed to the ground. The statue is carved out of a single rock which weighs around 20 tons.
- Brihadeeswara Temple is built to a height of 216 feet and is the first temple to be entirely carved out of granite stones weighing approximately 1,30,000 tons. It’s the world’s first temple built completely of granite.
- The temple is made with zero degree inclination, which makes the temple stand straight for more than 1000 years. The foundation of the temple is made without excavating the sand and yet the temple stands in its position.
- The great Cholas carved many paintings and inscriptions in Tamil signature that were carved on the temple wall. They depict rituals performed for Lord Shiva and tell the story of the kind Raja Raja Chola and how he planned the magnificent construction of the Big Temple in Granite.
- The beautiful and unique paintings depicting Lord Shiva and other evil gods such as Asuras, also known as Demons, and a variety of animal paintings can be found in the world-famous Thanjavur temple. They used natural dyes for paintings. The unique and magnificent painting art still remains intact even after 1000 years.