Domestic violence or abuse is the improper treatment or violent, aggressive behavior in the home, especially in relationships, towards a spouse or partner.
Women and men, both of them undergo such domestic abusive relationship. Abusive relationships include domestic abuse, spousal abuse, emotional and sexual abuse, financial and digital abuse etc. Intimate Partner Violence or IPV is violence or abuse towards a partner to gain control.
What most of us never knew was that, not only women in this era are psychologically, physically, sexually or economically abused also men. Domestic violence is a major public health problem that affects millions of people and often results in physical and emotional injuries and even deaths. Most of them are beaten, wounded, battered, bruised and torn.
26,000 men in Germany become victims of domestic abuse. The U.S. counts for 1 male in every 9 males, getting abused. In India, almost 51.5% of males get abused by the hands of their wives.
We never raise our voice for men, assuming that they are too strong to get that pain.
Teenage guys are also threatened in a relationship. It’s an age easy to dominate, mislead and intimidate and they undergo physical abuse.
Before going further, there are 5 types of Domestic abuse:
- Verbal Abuse: Verbally or orally destroying a person, saying swear words, shouting, clearly instilling unending fear in the person.
- Financial Abuse: Not allowing the other person to use money or putting too many rules and if used, asking so many questions, checking bills extensively, all of this adding the water to wells of guilt in the victim’s mind.
- Isolation: Isolating someone, not considering their opinions, constant ignorance, locking in rooms, all of this indirectly and directly isolates the victim and thereby abusing them, increasing unnecessary fear.
- Physical Abuse: The most common abuse you might have heard of includes violence from punching to extreme bruising, impairing the person’s present for a lifetime.
- Emotional abuse: Adding guilt to someone, breaking their self-confidence, complete manipulation, results in emotionally abusing the person and causes him or her to have too much self-blame.
These abuse forms are shamelessly used in relationships and men are also often the victims. Many are manipulated for doing work for their partner or men are drained of financial abuse and many men are also victims of physical abuse along with emotional shattering.
Adult men are often, as you know, neglected and financially stringed out. Men stay quiet and often quitness is confused with things being fine inside.
To every man or even women who are in a toxic relationship:
They have already buried your feelings, they have never cared about your feelings and they like to see you suffer. They have been controlling you and don’t care about your needs. Is this the relationship you wish for?
Most teenagers have experienced physical abuse from the opposite gender in the name of love/dating. People stopping you from achieving your dreams aren’t the right partner. Most of us undergo this situation. But never be calm and adjust yourself in that situation. You can’t be like this for the rest of your life! Open up to the people around you. Speak out the problem loud. Believe in yourself.
Remember, something which is destroying you isn’t love. Get rid of those relationships, you’re a warrior..! You deserve a healthy, loving and respectful relationship.
I’m not going to say “Be a man, know how to respect women.” I’m just saying “Be a Human.” Respect everyone’s emotions and feelings!
This article is to educate both men and women. Share and spread awareness. If you’re undergoing this situation, we are here for you! Remember our Teenskagram family is with you. Share it with us! Hope we will help fight the tough times.